Fixing technical errors such as 404 Page Not Found is very important for your online presence, as it helps you maintain your search result positions high and also improve your user experience.
The process of searching for and fixing 404 errors is not that hard at all and requires a bit of attention and a few clicks here and there.
How to Fix Error 404 in WordPress
Depending on the type of the HTTP 404 Error, you can use these methods to fix it:
- Reload the page that displays the message. Sometimes your site can display “404” because the page didn’t load properly.
- Clear your Internet browser’s cache. Sometimes cluttering too much cache data can result in it technical errors.
- Make sure you type in the URL correctly. An incorrect permalink oftentimes leads to a dead end.
- Replaced/moved web page: If you have moved one page from one location to another, you should also change the page’s URL, because if you don’t, the server won’t find the page in the old place anymore and will display an error message.
- Remove a page: The URLs towards your deleted pages will make servers display an error message. The best way to deal with the issue is to customize the 404 display page and add a description of the situation and preferably a link to a page similar to the requested content.
How to Search for Error 404 on Your Site
When it comes to searching your website for broken links, there are three handy methods that you can incorporate:
- Use Google Analytics. The platform is quite flexible and offers tons of utilities and features for its users and allows you to easily find broken links.
- Use Google Search Console. Similar to Google Analytics, this platform offers dedicated features that help you quickly find any broken links among your web pages.
- Use WordPress Plugins. There are plenty of plugins that can help you search for technical errors and also help you personalize your 404 display page, and also can quickly and easily redirect users to other useful pages.
What Causes Error 404?
Every time you try to open a web page, your browser tells the server containing your website to find it by a certain permalink. This link showcases the exact location of the particular web page and is used as an orientation for the server exactly where to search it.
This process is triggered every time you click on a link, or manually type one down. It is called a request.
Then the server responds to this request by sending you back the page that is related to this URL.
This entire system of communication is called HTTP – Hypertext Transfer Protocol and is the main method that delivers you all kinds of information and content on the Web.
However, sometimes the server cannot find the particular page, associated with the particular URL. When it fails to do so, it automatically displays you a particular text:
This message can be presented in many forms, the main ones of which are:
- 404 Not Found Error
- 404 HTTP 404
- 404 Page Not Found
- The Requested Page Was Not Found
All of these messages contain one and the same meaning and point to one and the same technical issue – the server cannot find any content, related to the particular URL you’ve used.
Personalize Your 404 Page For Positive Impact
Although it is an issue for both you and your site visitors, you can reduce the negative effects of the 404 error to the minimum.
To do so, there are two things you should focus on:
- Create a personalized message for your 404 page. By doing so, you can get creative and think of something original and even funny. If executed correctly, such a message has the potential to nullify the disappointment and irritation of your visitors and even make them smile.
- Create a unique design for your 404 page. Make it match with the design concept of your website and the rest of the pages, but, for example, with some neat twist. This, blended with the customized message, will show your visitors that you take care of them and try to provide the best browsing experience possible.
- Make sure your 404 page can redirect visitors to other pages with useful content. This will ensure that they will still have the chance to engage with your content and even make a conversion.
If you are new to the site-building journey and want to make a website without any errors, then take a look at our comprehensive WordPress guide! You will learn everything you need to know about the site-building process and step by step you will create a beautiful and fully functional site!
If you are searching for a reliable hosting provider, then look no further than ZETTAHOST! We provide many hosting services and plans, such as free hosting plans, and data encryption via SSL Certificates. Also, you can register your domains and launch your site-building projects today! Contact us and let us become your reliable partner in the world of digital!
- How to Fix WordPress HTTP Error 500
- How to Fix Error 503 Service Unavailable in WordPress
- How to Install WordPress using Zacky App Installer
- What are the WordPress User Roles
- How to Add Categories in WordPress and Assign Posts to Them